I hashed out a few financial hopes for 2010 here. I had three goals:
– Save for a second car. We still don’t have a pressing need for a second vehicle. We have $4,000 earmarked for this car, and once we hit that point, we started funneling extra savings toward our house down payment fund. We can tap it for a car if we want, or if it makes more sense to take out a small loan, then we will. It’s hard to say what we’ll do, since buying a second vehicle will go along with moving back to Indiana (if that can happen). If we live really close to my husband’s job, then we can make it work with one car. Hard to say right now!
– Johnny’s college fund. He has a small amount of savings going right now. It’s in a regular savings account for the moment, and we’re going to move that over to a 529 plan this year. We’ll also open one for our daughter, Vivienne.
– House down payment. Ideally, we’ll have 20% down for a 15-year mortgage. It’s hard to say when we’ll be able to buy a house, though it’s possible that it can happen in 2011. I think if we don’t hit the 20% goal, we’ll at least be respectably close.
THIS YEAR, FINANCIALLY SPEAKING:
– 529 plans for the kids, and regular monthly contributions. I don’t expect we’ll contribute gobs of money to these accounts just yet, since we’re still saving for a house, but I do think we’ll be able to do a little something each month, and then ramp it up in the near future.
– Open Roth IRA. We’re saving 15% of Shane’s gross income for retirement. Right now, a portion of it is going to his Roth 401k, and the remainder we had been putting aside in a savings account until we had enough to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard. So now, we just need to do that. Yay!
– House savings. Yeah. By now, you guys get that we’re saving for a house.
I’ve gotta say, it’s nice to be in this stage of things, financially. No debts to pay off! And we’re already saving a lot for retirement, so we’re really working our way through those Dave Ramsey baby steps.
– I’ve been cleared to start exercising once again, and I started today with about 30 minutes of Pilates on a DVD. It felt so nice! I’m going to keep up with Pilates since I love it so much, and maybe, in theory, I’m going to start walking/running. I sort of want to do a 5k, but I’m scared to commit because people, Pittsburgh is HILLY. And I don’t like running on hills. It’s killer. But maybe I should just suck it up and do it. Ok so here goes: Goal for 2011: Run a 5k.
– Complete the Bible by June 9. I read the Bible in 90 days last summer, and it was my first time completely through the entire Bible. It was awesome, and a lot more doable than I first thought. I’m doing a different reading plan right now, the CCV plan on YouVersion. It has a NT, OT, and Psalms/Proverbs reading for each weekday. Though it’s a one-year plan, I’d like to complete it by my birthday. So far so good! (I began on Dec. 26). With Bible in 90, I read the NIV translation, and this time I’m doing ESV.
– Read at least 24 books. That’s only 2 per month on average. Surely I can do that! I’ll keep a list and share some of my favorites.
These are really simple, doable goals. And now that I’ve shared them with you, I will have a bit of accountability and a little more motivation to get ’em done.
Happy 2011 to you all!