As I did with my son Jonathan, I’m setting up a separate savings account to put money toward the things we’ll want to buy for our daughter. December is only 4 months away — how’d that sneak up on me like that?
We’ll need to cover:
- $280 medical deductible (our FSA account is almost all used up. I didn’t put that much money in it this year. Didn’t think I’d get a 2010 baby!)
- Infant car seat. I think we’re going with this $65 Graco Snugride.
- A few more cloth diapers, since I’ll likely have 2 in cloth for awhile. I’ve got my newborn and size small stash already, but I think I want a few more one-size diapers. Let’s say $75.
- Some additional storage containers/shelves, maybe. Once I get rid of a bunch of stuff in a yard sale at the end of this month I might not need a whole lot, but let’s say $50 anyway.
- Baby clothes. A lot of our newborn stuff is gender-neutral and I already have a few things in the smaller sizes, but not enough for a complete wardrobe. I’m going to say $50.
- A swaddler. My husband was really good at doing a blanket swaddle, but I stink at it. $10
- A big purse. I don’t like diaper bags and I don’t normally carry one. I might throw a diaper and some wipes in my regular purse (which I don’t always carry, either). I usually have a regular diaper bag and just leave it in my trunk and it has a change of clothes, extra diapers, a blanket, whatever. But I don’t think I’ll be able to get away with that minimalist approach with two little ones. $20
- $100 for other things that I’ll want later, but can’t think of right now
So over the next few months, I’ll put a portion of that into that savings account until I’ve got the funds. And I’ll tap that account to buy some things.
I’m getting really excited for her arrival!
*Amazon affiliate link