We have until tomorrow to tell our current landlord our intentions to stay for another year, go month-to-month (extra $50 per month), or move out by June 30. We’re running out of time and still don’t know what to do!
We looked at an apartment yesterday and we think we either want to move there or stay put. Other apartments in the area we’re seeking are out of our price range, don’t fit our qualifications or aren’t available. We have at least another year to a year and a half before we think we could consider buying a house.
I’m going to hash out some pros and cons and maybe you can toss in some things for us to consider. I’ve bolded the points that carry the most weight.
- Rent is $45 cheaper per month
- Unit comes with a washer/dryer (right now, we have coin-op machines in the basement)
- Is about 100 square feet bigger, with slightly larger bedrooms, a bigger livingroom, and a separate dining room which we do not currently have
- Electric bill might be lower if we don’t have to run the AC as much, since it’s a lower-level apartment
- It would be a good opportunity to go through our possessions and get rid of things we don’t need
- We would be living in the area we think we might want to buy, and we could try it out without making a huge commitment
- We wouldn’t have to climb so many stairs each day
- We would have lots of new things in the area to explore
- Shane’s commute to work would be longer by as much as 20 minutes each way
- It’s a basement-level apartment, so we’d walk down about 5 steps.
- It’s fairly dim inside even during the day
- We are taking a risk with having upstairs neighbors (noise), and a different property management company
- Slightly less storage space. No coat closet, smaller linen closet, no storage space under our furnace and hot water tank like we have now
- It’s not as walkable as where we are now
- Traffic stinks in this area
- Moving is a big hassle. Costly, lots of organizing and unpacking, things to buy for a new place, many companies to contact with our new address…
We’re going back and forth on whether to stay or go. As I pointed out to Shane earlier, the place we lived in before this was pretty awful by our current standards. It was TINY, no dishwasher, no on-site laundry facilities, only a window AC, a noisy train was right behind it, it smelled weird, the stairs were steep. It was fine when we were there, but when I look back on it, I think wow…that place was pretty lousy. But, we can put up with a lot for a year and I wonder if the benefits to moving would outweigh the drawbacks.