The hospital billing department sent me an itemized bill. Here are some of the highlights:
– $1,275/ night for a “semi-private” room. I don’t know where they’re getting “semi,” since it wasn’t a shared room. x3 nights is $3,825.
– Because my water broke at 11 a.m. and I wasn’t in active labor by 6 p.m. (though I had started having contractions, thankfully), I was induced with a drug called Cervidil. That thing cost a whopping $2,108.
– A line item called “LDR Delivery” was $3,333.
– Since I developed pre-eclampsia, I was given magnesium sulfate, which cost $180
– A .25 oz. tube of Lasinoh was $19. What? You can get several ounces for like $10 at Target.
The remaining charges were miscellaneous blood wor and meds for my recovery.
I’m so fortunate for our HMO and I’m fortunate that we had a relatively uncomplicated delivery. Ok, there were some complications, but I’m thankful that it didn’t end in a c-section.