This is the week of trying new things in the kitchen! I’m excited and a little nervous for how it’ll all turn out. I’ve never made any of these recipes before.
I went to the library and picked up a copy of The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen) to learn how to incorporate fruit and vegetable purees in meals to add a nutritional boost.
I don’t think I like the idea of tricking my husband about what he’s eating, so I won’t. He doesn’t mind that there will be cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, avocado, and other assorted items in his food. In fact, he’s glad that he’ll be eating a bit healthier.
I need help sneaking more fruits and veggies into my diet as well. Though sometimes I like a fresh garden salad, I really can’t stand eating them more than once per week at the most.
I’ll use a few Sneaky Chef recipes this week and I’ll let you know how it goes. If they’re successful, I just might plunk down the money and actually buy a copy of the book to use in the future.
Also, I’m going to use my bread machine for the first time and attempt to make a loaf of bread. My mother-in-law kindly gave me her old machine, and it’s sat on a shelf near my kitchen for a long time. Baking bread really intimidates me for some reason. I think it’s because I’m worried I’ll screw up the yeast temperature.
I have no concept of what appropriate lukewarm water actually feels like. Any suggestions?
I’m just going to get over my fears and I’m going to try to make a loaf of wheat bread this week. Expect photos and a blog post to follow soon.
- Farmhouse chicken and baked acorn squash
- “Beefed up” onion soup and wheat bread (soup from Sneaky Chef cookbook. Includes pomegranate juice and orange puree of carrots & yams). I get French onion soup every time I go to Panera Bread. I just love the stuff and I hope this recipe is yummy!
- “Hungry man hummus” served with whole grain pita chips, celery and carrots. Recipe comes from the cookbook and includes tofu and white puree which has cauliflower and zucchini.
- “Everybody loves Romano chicken” and some random veggie side. Chicken includes either the orange or white puree and wheat germ.
- Spaghetti and “mega marinara sauce” which is a homemade-ish sauce that includes the orange and white purees.
Snack or breakfast:
Strawberry & banana smoothie (from cookbook) made with green tea, banana, avocado, pomegranate juice, strawberries, and more.
For the sake of our health and my sanity, let’s hope this is a successful week.
For more menu ideas, check out Orgjunkie!