What luck have you had buying clothes online? I’ve hesitated to do it, because I can’t imagine trying them on to see how they feel & fit & what the material’s like, etc. Has that not been a problem?
I really like shopping for clothes online. I get worn out if I spend an hour or two at the mall. I hate trying on shirt after shirt or the like, just trying to find something that will fit my body and my budget. I end up tired and frustrated.
I enjoy using online coupons and taking advantage of online-only sales. I appreciate the convenience of online shopping.
So far, I’ve been lucky. Most of the things I’ve bought, I’ve liked.
Here’s what I do:
- I consult the individual site’s sizing chart to find my size, according to those measurements
- I check the shipping rate to see if it’s worthwhile
- I check the return/exchange policy. If it seems like a hassle, I won’t bother. I like buying from online stores that also have a brick & mortar storefront. If my Sears purchases don’t fit, I can return them to the mall.
- I only buy from reputable companies. I realize that’s ambiguous, but I do my best to judge the store’s integrity from what I know about them and online reviews.
I’ve had great luck with shirts, shorts, cropped pants, skirts, hats (duh, lol) gloves & scarves), and underoos.
There are a few clothes that I won’t buy online, however.
- Pants. For me, it’s hard to find pants that fit right. I typically have to go to a store and try on a bunch of pair, in the case of pants.
- Swimsuits. I’m going to have to try on swimsuits this season to find the right one for me. I’m looking for a style that I haven’t tried before, and I’m just going to need to try a bunch on.
- Most shoes. Slippers, sure. But feet are important. If your shoes don’t fit, your feet will hurt. Then your back will hurt. Then you’ll feel awful. So, I like to try on shoes before I buy them. If you’ve found a shoe that fits wonderfully, consider trying A’s strategy of buying in bulk online.
Besides clothes, I like to acquire books online (hello, Amazon and Paperbackswap) and electronics.
What do you like to buy online? What do you avoid?
More on this topic from the blogosphere: