I typically don’t wear much makeup, but that look just wouldn’t be right on my wedding day. I wanted to look great, but I knew my budget wouldn’t let me spend much on hair or makeup.
I mentioned to one of my friends (thanks, Rachel!) that I was considering going to get my hair done at a beauty school, since their rates for updos were affordable.
She told me that she has a friend who does hair very well. AND, said friend has a roommate that does makeup. Woo!
It turns out, they’re wonderful at it.
The hair stylist gave me a very excellent deal, including a trial hairdo and makeup application, and she did my hair on my wedding day AND the hair of my four bridesmaids.
As part of my gift to my bridesmaids, I paid for their hairdos.
What’s even cooler, is that she came to us. We all met in the church basement early in the morning on my wedding day, and she and her lovely assistants did our hair very quickly. It was really nice not having to drive to a salon.
And I’m glad I didn’t do my hair or makeup myself. For one, it would look terrible. And two, I was far too nervous and preoccupied to even try doing it myself. Leave it to the pros.
Some tips for getting lower-costing hair and makeup on your wedding day:
- Ask around! Surely you have a friend who has a friend who’s neighbor does hair. Everyone does, whether you know it or not. You might find someone willing to do yours for a reasonable price.
- Call the local beauty college and find out what they might charge, and if you can have a practice-run with the same stylist.
- Call a moderate or high-end salon to get a price quote. Be polite, and then when you hang up, laugh at how much they wanted you to pay.
- Always get a practice hairstyle. This way, your stylist won’t be rushed. She’ll see how your hair responds to the style, and be able to make adjustments as necessary. You’ll see how long the style holds, and you’ll have a sense for how long it will take to style.
- For makeup, ask your hair stylist if she has any recommendations. Or maybe you have a cousin or friend who would love to help you out.
Pictured is me with my um…”little” sister. I was wearing flat shoes, she was wearing heels. But still, she’s a tiny bit taller than me. If you’re curious, I’m 5’10”.
- Our wedding: The flowers
- Our wedding: The guest list
- Our wedding: Accessories
- Our wedding: Stationery
- Our wedding: The photography
- Our wedding: The wedding party