This week’s menu has a few old standbys (tacos), some old favorites (breakfast casserole), and a brand-new item: split pea soup. Can you believe I’ve never had this soup? I have no idea how it will taste. This looks like a good recipe to try, though. I really hope we like it!
-Soft shell tacos, refried beans $4.31
-Chicken Parmesan, side salad $2.84
-Split pea soup $2.62
-Breakfast casserole, fruit salad $9.17
-Frozen pizza $1.99
Total dinners for the week: $20.93
Soft shell tacos, refried beans
- 1 lb. ground beef $1.99
- packet of taco seasoning $0.29
- four tortilla shells $0.32
- lettuce $0.20
- shredded cheese $0.67
- salsa $0.25
- sour cream $0.10
- refried beans (can) $0.49
- Total: $4.31
Parmesan chicken with spaghetti and marinara
- 2 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves $2
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (less than a penny)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese $0.15 ?
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (neg)
- 1 egg $0.07
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (neg)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (neg)
- Half a box of spaghetti or less $0.30
- Half a jar of marinara sauce $0.39
- Total: $2.84
Split pea soup
Can you believe I’ve never had this soup? I have no idea how it will taste. This looks like a good recipe to try, though.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces $1.89 for the pack, but probably using 1/4 of that, so $0.47
- 1 small onion, chopped $0.10
- 1 leek, thinly sliced –don’t have it. oops
- 1 large carrot, chopped $0.11
- 2 cloves garlic, minced $0.15
- 4 (10.5 ounce) cans chicken broth $1.56 (.39/can)
- 1 1/2 cups green split peas $0.99 for the pack, which has 6.5 cups, so $0.23
- 2 bay leaves (neg)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary-cop out on this one, I’m using dried. (neg)
- Total: $2.62
Breakfast casserole, fruit salad
This is a family recipe that I’m going to modify. I hastyally wrote down a version, and it’s probably not the correct family one, but this is what I’m going to do. Duplicate at your own risk :)
- Croutons (I will be toasting bread in the oven to make my own) $0.30
- 1 pack sausage, cooked $1.49
- 4 (or more) eggs (.89/doz. at Aldi this week! Yay!) $0.30
- 2 1/4 cup milk $0.36
- Cream of mushroom soup (can be cream of whatever, cuz why not?) $0.89 (cheaper if I bought it at Aldi)
- 1 c shredded cheddar
- 1 c shredded Monterey jack (I’m using shredded Co-Jack cheese instead of both, since that’s what I have) $2
- Mustard (1 T? more/less if you want)
- Optional: add diced mushrooms, peppers
- Fruit salad: Can mandarin oranges, can pineapple, frozen berries: $3.83
- Total: $9.17 (this entire meal will make lots of leftovers)
- Grease a 9″x13″ pan. Line the bottom with croutons or toasted bread pieces.
- Cover with crumbled cooked sausage.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a separate bowl. Add soup, cheese, and mustard.
- Pour into pan and bake, covered with aluminum foil for 50-55 minutes at 325 degrees.
Frozen pizza–yeah, I’m not making my own this week. Oh well. $1.99
For you new folks to my blog, welcome! This menu feeds myself and my husband. We eat cereal, oatmeal, fruit or waffles for breakfast. Lunches are leftovers from whenever, or a simple sandwich, applesauce, yogurt, veggies, whatever we have on hand.