I ran across your blog a couple weeks ago. Very impressive and informative. I was wondering since you began your $35 weekly menu budget, what kind of foods do you send with your husband to work. I have plenty ideas for the basic lunch part since we usually bring it to him so my son can spend time with him.(Our schedules are different.) But I can’t seem to think of snacks. He has three breaks and usually needs something to pull him though since he has a very physical-labor job. I would appreciate any ideas. I am sorry if I gave you to much informtion. Thank you very much.Sincerely,Rose Mary
I typically pack his lunch as I’m putting away the dinner leftovers. This week, as I packed up leftover taco soup, I put some in a single-serving size microwave-safe container. I put the rest of the soup in a large container to freeze, and then another few small containers to eat this week. I threw in a yogurt, fruit snack, and some corn chips to eat with the soup, a spoon and put the lunch box in the fridge. In the morning, he grabs that and puts two little frozen packs in there to keep it cold.
Packing a lunch right after dinner seems to save time, and I’m less likely to forget about it.
For the most part, I usually pack dinner leftovers as his main course for lunch. He has a microwave at work, so this makes it easy to reheat things.
I asked him what sorts of other things he might like to eat. This is important, because he’s the one eating it. Naturally, he will know what he wants to eat!
Some smaller items I include that could be eaten with the meal or as a snack throughout the day include:
- A hard-boiled egg (I cook several of these at a time in my food steamer)
- Easy fruit, such as an apple or banana
- Fruit salad
- Fruit snacks (not healthy at all, but he requested them)
- Granola bars
- Crackers (with cheese, peanut butter, or cream cheese)
- Tortilla chips and salsa or bean dip
- Raw vegetables, such as carrots, celery, broccoli, with a ranch dip
- Even a peanut butter & jelly (or banana, marshmallow creme or nutella) sandwich cut in half could be a quick snack
These are just a few ideas. What else can you suggest?